Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Only Place: Not Anymore

One sunny afternoon, Grumpu and I decided to catch lunch before the screening of Wake Up Sid. Incredibly hungry, we trudged all the way to Museum Road to hit The Only Place just in time for lunch. This place is (at least used to be) a Bangalore institution. The decor is laid back and casual. There is no air conditioning though, so humid afternoons might not be the best time to visit.

Propelled by extreme hunger and the impatient waiter we quickly placed our order. I ordered a veg. steak and Grumpu ordered a fettucine alfredo. I also ordered a lime soda which got it just right. The steak had cheese and mushrooms on top and I loved that. The steak itself was OK but nothing mind blowing (I maintain that the steak at Millers 46 is way better). The fettucine alfredo, unfortunately, fell into that category of dishes where the chef believes that adding copious amounts of cheese will pass off as fine dining. As my previous reviews indicate (Read: my review on Infinitea), this doesn't quite work for me. The pasta had a slight hint of something promising but it was overpowered by all that cheese. The garlic bread was warm and nice.

I adore the apple pie here and rarely leave without having that. This time, however, there was much drama. They refused to take my order stating that it was post-lunch time and I had to leave. While I understand that it was a little late, I thought their behaviour was a little rude to say the least. There were other customers in the restaurant (still eating) and clearly they were not going to close for another 30 minutes at least. As putting off as that attitude was, I refused to miss my dessert and upon my insistence they deigned to serve me the apple pie with ice cream.

And it was worth all the hassle. One of the best apple pies in the business, it was warm with wonderful caramelized apple pieces and a 'melt-in-your-mouth' baked crust. It wasn't oversweet and was 'oh! so yummy'(sighs wistfully).

The bill came to Rs. 500 for the two of us. The Only Place isn't what it used to be. The food is just above average and better food is definitely available for the same price. The ambiance is very old Bangalore and I love that. I'll probably go back sometime but not in a hurry.

2 comments:

SANDEEP said...

u went to the oly place an ordered a VEG STEAK ??.. :-/ . u were treated right fr that , .. ! duh ..

Shruti said...

when u're vegetarian wht other steak would u order?! I've also had the veg steak before and it was MUCH better.

Post a Comment