Sunday, October 11, 2009

Samarkand: Simply Must Visit

To celebrate Ganje's happy birthday, employment and satisfy general feelings of gluttony, six of us headed down to Hypnos on a ladies night. Samarkand serves food at this sister concern, so we managed to combine some of our favourite things: free alcohol, great food with someone else footing the tab :). Both are located in Gem Plaza on Infantry Road, near Safina Plaza.

After much discussion, we decided on a veg. platter (small) and a non veg. platter (small) for starters. I shudder to think what the large servings are like because these were HUGE. 3 of us split each platter and there was more than enough to go around. The paneer in the platter was the pick of the day. It was soft and spicy and I can't remember tasting better paneer. The gobi, tandoori veggies, sheek kabab and one million other things on that platter were perfect. I also had a small bite of the chicken which I thought tasted like paneer, just tougher (Now I know that many of you are going to want to kill me for saying that, but thankfully you don't know where I live).

The platter is extremely filling and those with small appetites might be full in the first course itself. Since none of us suffer from that affliction we moved on to the main course. The carnivores ordered murgh makhani and we ordered more paneer. Both items were very good. The rotis were warm and very well made. By this time we were rather full and decided to hit the dance floor before dessert.

The music was average that night. The dance floor was too small and too crowded, though it did house a few interesting characters including I-will-display-my-many-tyres-in-a-body-hugging-shirt man and I-am-too-hot-to-wear-clothes woman.

Many laughs later we returned to the table to order dessert. I ordered the bakklava, Rattu ordered the kurbani ka meetha and the others ordered phirni. I hated the bakklava, KK and Rattu liked it. The kurbani ka meetha was nice but oversweet. My favourite was the phirni which is by far the best I have ever had and is a serious contender for my 'Best dessert in Bangalore' prize.

The prices are a little steep and will cost you Rs. 400 per person for a veg meal. All in all, an incredible dinner and if you are in Bangalore, you simply must visit this place.

2 comments:

The Hoverer said...

yumm.... sounds like a place made for me... as for the chicken tasting like paneer, i can hunt u down, i practically know where u live .... grrrr

Shruti said...

the place is pretty awesome. are u coming for the debate this year? if you are, we can go then. and honest, the chicken did taste like paneer.

Post a Comment