Monday, May 17, 2010

Road Trip

In recent years, there has been a sudden implosion of Italian restaurants in Bangalore.
Walk anywhere in Indiranagar or Kormangala and you will stumble upon one such restaurant every two-three streets. It's quite difficult to stand out in this milieu of restaurants, but Road Trip was a refreshing change.

After many phone calls, wrong turns and nearly giving up, Ra, Pri, SJ, Shubhi, KK and I managed to locate this place thanks to a helpful young woman. Getting here is a little tricky, so speak to someone who knows the way before you embark on your journey. The place is dominated by motorbike memorabilia. Instead of lights, bike headlights hang from the ceiling (Pretty cool huh?).

While the menu is not the most extensive in the business, there are quite a few interesting choices. For starters we ordered the crostini. It was fairly good but nothing spectacular.

In the main course, I ordered the Tittagele Primavera (Rs.215) (I'm sure I've got the spelling wrong, I apologize).
This was a wheat based flat noodle pasta which is an in-house
specialty. I'm sad to say that it was a little disappointing. While there were some herbs and spices in it, the overall taste was rather bland. There are much nicer things to order in the menu and you may want to give this the miss. Ra ordered the Veg Shahslik (Rs. 215).
This contained rice, grilled vegetables and a lovely sauce. The zucchinis were especially great. However, the entire dish tasted distinctly Indian: the spices, the gravy and the ubiquitous paneer.

KK ordered the chicken lasagna (Rs. 250) which was quite good. There was

enough cheese to satisfy any cheese lover's appetite but not so much as to overwhelm the dish. The chicken, sauce and vegetables had their own distinct taste which blended beautifully. Pri ordered the bacon quiche tart (Rs. 190). The serving was smaller than the other dishes but it tasted lovely. There was a strong spinach element in this dish which I loved.

SJ ordered the boneless stuffed chicken (Rs. 250).
Wonderful, cheesy garlicky overtones. The chicken itself had a gorgeous (is that the wrong metaphor here?) texture. The boiled potatoes that they served with these deserve a special mention. They were grilled lightly and a mild sprinkling of herbs made this the best boiled potatoes I have had in a long time. I loved the fact that they paid such attention to small details.

I now come to my two favourite dishes of the day. Shubhi ordered the Wheat Margerita Pizza (Rs. 215) and I insist that anyone who visits this place try it.
The pizza is HUGE, the crust is crisp and light, they have olives and other toppings and the taste is quite mind blowing. I would go back for this alone. This and the chocolate fondant. The dessert menu at Road Trip is quite extensive and exotic (huge brownie points in my book). The servings are very filling and should satisfy most appetites. Since we were so full, three of us decide to split a dessert.

We ordered the chocolate fondant (Rs.100) which requires a 25 minute wait. The dessert was humongous (please see the picture to gauge how humongous it was). Its a baked spongy chocolate cake with loads of ice cream. It's a little hard to go wrong
with chocolate and ice cream and they definitely don't. I wish I could have tried the other desserts because they all sounded so good. (If you do try any of them, let me know how it was).

The loo here is fairly clean but not great.

All in all, a satisfying experience and if you are in this side of town, you should check it out.

Fun Fact: The grapevine (which basically means some third party propagated wild rumour) tells me that this place is owned by Nikhil Chinappa.

Location: 3524/1, Park-Service Road, 1st Main Domlur, Indiranagar, Bangalore, 41155848
Pricing: Rs 300 - 400 per person (We spent Rs. 315 on ours, including tip and tax).

7 comments:

-- mt -- said...

there used to be half portion of a bullet sticking out from the wall on the west side of the cafe. does it still remain?

Shruti said...

I didn't notice. But if I go there again, I'll be sure to look out for it

Karthik Shetty said...

I'm guessing you had the Tagliatelle :) and sorry to say this, but Rogue Elephant was superb! But not to worry, I shall plan something for you (and with you, of course) for missing out here.

JayH_Yelton0曹曹 said...

秋去冬來~~大家要注意身體,別感冒囉! ..................................................

Roshmi Sinha said...

Sounds interesting and the food definitely appetizing. Will check out... for sure!

Shruti said...

@Karthik: Ya, it was the Tagliatelle. I must visit this Rogue Elephant place soon. Too many people have said nice things.

@Roshmi: If you go there, do let me know whether you liked it.

nidhisha said...

hey Shruthi,
Nikhil Chinappa's brother Neeraj(something like that) Chinappa half-owns this place. Completely irrelevant information.

Post a Comment