Monday, April 25, 2011

Theobroma: The reason I want to shift to Bombay



I was in Bombay over the weekend and adored it. The bright lights, the crowds, the chaos, the mad activity and not to forget the never ending number of good restaurants here: I was, and remain, hooked.  

I walked into Theobroma and it was instant love. Warm wooden flooring, soft lighting and the indescribable scent of freshly baked goods create a cosy, casual ambiance. The place is a little cramped but given the astronomical property prices in South Bombay, you would be hard pressed to find a place that isn't. All around are wonderful looking baked goodies and desserts. Ready to put Theobroma to the taste test, we quickly placed our orders.




I ordered the millionaire brownie. This combination of chocolate chip brownie layered with buttery caramel and dark chocolate is sinful, to say the least. It perfects the dark, rich flavour of chocolate with just the appropriate amount of relief so that all that chocolate doesn't completely overwhelm you. This one's a definite winner (as the ringing of the sales machine indicates). If you want the pure, unadulterated taste of chocolate then the overload brownie should be your choice.



They have a wide array of desserts and I did my best to try as many as I could. Pri went with the Mango and Passion fruit cheesecake. The mango was definitely on the sour-er side, but it hit the right spot with us and we wolfed it down quickly.


I forced Ganje to order the Vodka and Green Chilly Mousse. The subtle flavour of vodka and the kick of green chilly at the very end (right when it goes down your throat) was quite interesting. While we liked it, it may not be everyone's cup of tea. Tread with caution when you order this and know that it could go either way.


Their baked cheesecake was decent but I must admit I was a little disappointed. It wasn't as great as I thought it would be. Pali Village Cafe and Saltwater Cafe both dished up better versions. 


We also had the cold coffee and hot chocolate here. Both were good but neither was special.



They also have a number of savoury items but I was so distracted by all that sugar that I didn't get around to tasting them. I did however pack an astonishingly large number of brownies and cookies to pig out on in Chennai. Completely inadvisable and unhealthy it might be, but it is worth every chocolate-y bite.  If you see me walking around with an impish grin for the next few days, you know why. 

They have a bigger Bandra branch but I think the Colaba one is more charming. Even though we spent long hours at the Colaba branch, it is mostly a takeaway/quick bite scene. A few entertaining South Bombay-ites graced the establishment when we were there. Many thanks to 'check-ME-out' and 'the Aishas' who provided much entertainment. Theobroma has a clean little loo. 

If you are in Bombay, definitely pay this place one(several) visit(s). You won't regret it.
P.S: Theobroma has a national brownie delivery service. Hint! Hint!

Location: Shop 24, Cusrow Baug, Colaba Causeway, Shahid Bhagat Singh Road, Colaba, Mumbai
Landmark: Opposite Central Bank of India
Phone: 22873778, 22886464, 22830101

2 comments:

Sneha said...

hey the Bandra one is also lovely! :D if you're still there, or are going to go back there at some point, remember to try the Chocolate Opium. Best chocolate dessert ever (ie. amongst the ones that aren't too chocolatey you know) and theo is really famous for it. Also, next time try the mushroom and cheese (it's a side, but my sister an i order it as is and hog!). the best!

ldpeugh said...

I want the millionaire brownie right now!

Post a Comment