Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Crust, Chennai




Chennai seems to specialize in hiding its restaurants: so many of them are tiny, tucked away and hard to find. And one such hidden place is Crust. I stumbled across it when I first came to Chennai and was lost in the middle of nowhere (or so it seemed at the time). 

Crust is a cute little bakery on a by lane of Abhirampuram Main Road. Walk in and the store impresses. Delectable baked goods, real cheese and a variety of breads. In the baked goods/dessert section, Crust impresses. I endorse the chocolate fudge brownie. The brownie has a nice consistency and I loved the walnuts in between.

Chocolate Fudge Brownie

The Baked Almond Youghurt is very, very good. This was similar to a cheesecake but not as heavy and without the crust. Having never had baked yoghurt before, I don't have anything else to compare this to but objectively it was pretty darn good. Be warned, that this is extremely heavy and will leave you feeling super full.

Baked Almond Yoghurt

I am also a huge fan of their Apple Strudel. Crumbly, soft and filled with the yummy goodness of caramelized apples. Enough said.

However, their main courses can prove very disappointing. I had the Veg. Panini which was OK but not something I would order again. It tasted bland and was loaded with lettuce. There wasn't even some cheese to redeem it.


The Pizzette had no taste. It wasn't even bland, it just tasted like nothing. I knew I was eating it because I was going through the motions but I could have been eating paper for all the taste it had. Eeugh! I had the lasagne once and that was pretty decent.

Pizzette

The seating at the front is cute and can seat upto 10 people. But you can also ask them to seat you at the back. I think that has better ambiance, its usually empty so it affords a lot of privacy. All seating is outdoors.

Outdoor Seating
Notice the dish rag on one of the chairs?

The saddest thing about Crust is the underlying air of neglect. When I went there 3 months ago, they had a single person running the bakery, cooking the food and waiting the tables. You can imagine how that turned out. The food wasn't bad but it took forever to arrive and the poor guy was very frazzled. When I went there this Sunday, very few of the baked goods were actually there. Only half of the display section was full. 

Crust has great potential and some truly good desserts. I really wish someone would work on it and fulfill that potential. For now I am going to advise you to go there only for the desserts and pray that they are having a good day. 

Thanks to Renee, Nathu and Anisha for accompanying me on various jaunts to this place. And a big shout out to Mattu for the Google Maps suggestion (See the Location Link below).

Pricing: Rs. 150 - 200 per person
Location: 18 Bimanna garden road, R.A. Puram (Click here to get the Google Map Directions)
Landmark: Behind kirtilal Kalidas Jewellers
Phone: 24670298


1 comment:

kousalya said...

Hi there, awesome site. I thought the topics you posted on were very interesting. I tried to add your RSS

to my feed reader and it a few. take a look at it, hopefully I can add you and follow.

Cake Shop Chennai

Post a Comment