Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Fruit Shop on Greams Road, Chennai




For the umpteenth time, I am trying to eat healthy (they do say 37th time is a charm, right?). As part of this venture, I'm going to take you to Fruit Shop on Greams Road. Contrary to it's name, the shop is not (just) on Greams Road. If you have spent any amount of time in the city you must have noticed the bright yellow boards dotting various locations across the city. This review is largely based on my experiences at the Beasant Nagar branch.

The shop itself is a bit bizarre: slightly run down and filled with black & white portraits of little known American celebrities. The purpose of this decor has always eluded me. But I can only tackle one befuddling problem at a time and I quickly concerned myself with their overcrowded menu. There is a mind boggling variety of fruity concoctions to choose from.

In the milkshake section, a personal favourite is the Custard Apple Shake. Rich, creamy and and bound to satisfy your sugar fix. The Sheik Shake is based on dates. While I ordered this with much trepidation, it turned out to be pretty decent. It's definitely not my favourite drink but is worth a try.

I also quite like the Old Boy, a strawberry and mango concoction. The primary taste is mango's with just a sliver of strawberry thrown in. The shake is super heavy and will fill you up considerably.



In the juice section try the Mom's Recipe. This is light, refreshing and surprisingly tasty tomato juice. I never thought I'd say this but it ranks among my favourites here.

Mom's Recipe

The Indian Cocktail is an explosion of six fruits. The overarching taste is of papaya's but you can also discern sweet lime, orange and just a wee bit of pineapple and strawberry. The mystery sixth ingredient we are yet to fathom.

If you are in the mood for a healthy snack or a very light dinner, then I recommend their fresh fruit salad. 

Fresh Fruit Salad



Try their sinuous strawberries and cream if you are feeling decadent. I assure you, you won't be disappointed.

Strawberries and Cream
(Thanks to FooDee for the pic)
I spotted the next table digging into this yummy, but unhealthy, looking falooda. In deference to my expanding waistline I stopped myself from ordering this one, but you should try it and let me know whether its any good. 

Falooda
Fruit Shop is one of those places that everyone loves. I think their biggest strength is that they use healthy, fresh, high quality ingredients. Thats why I keep coming back.

Pricing: Rs. 35-100 per person. Click to view the menu.
Location: They have branches in Beasant Nagar, Anna Nagar, Kilpauk, Greams Road, Spencer Plaza and even Dubai (opposite Lamcy Plaza).


1 comment:

Wellwin ray said...

Hi,
This post is really nice and informative. The explanation given is really comprehensive and informative. I am feeling happy to comment on this post.
fruits online shopping chennai

Post a Comment