Thursday, January 19, 2012

Cafe Noir: Never Again


Some people have been raving about the desserts at this place, so I guess it wasn't surprising that I found myself here. What was surprising though was that we left without eating anything. 

It was a Sunday evening and the place was packed. They gave us a table on the side which was fine but they refused to give us a third chair. When the third member of our party arrived, they gave us a high bar stool which made it akward for conversation and, more importantly, made it nearly impossible for the person sitting on the bar stool to eat. I could understand of all this. They didn't have any chairs or other tables which was fine.

When a regular table opened up, I asked the waiter if it would be OK for us to shift there and he agreed. The owner then swooped on me telling me off for having the gall to demand a decent table. He was rude, condescending and refused to give us the empty table. 

There are a lot of things that I am willing to do for good dessert, but I draw the line at that sort of behaviour.  Burrp! reviews seem to suggest that Cafe Noir also serves a healthy dose of racial discrimination. I don't know if the owner's behaviour was racially motivated, but it was definitely unacceptable. I, for one, will not be going back there. 

Have you guys been here? Did you meet with similar treatment? Or have you had a different experience? Hit the comment boards.  

No comments:

Post a Comment