Thursday, May 31, 2012

Helsinki

Helisnki is stylish, understated chic. The city doesn't try to awe you with a profusion of overpowering cathedrals and mansions,  like London and Paris. Instead, the city manages to be sleek and elegant without too much of a fuss. Walk around its broad streets, spot an impressive neo-Gothic structure and quietly let the city work its charm on you. 






The city has the feel of a slightly large port town, the kind where everyone knows everyone else. Helsinki's jewel is its harbour. Sparkling crystal blue waters, cradled by a lush, green and incredibly well maintained gardens. On a misty day, the fog on the nearby islands creates a magical, Middle-world feel. It was surreal. 





Finalnd is shockingly expensive. Cheap eats don't seem to exist and a tiny train ride can cost you upto 34 euros! My carefully planned budget took a beating. No wonder people in Helsinki seemed soo happy. They must be ridiculously rich to be able to live here. 

I loved Helsinki. It had a beguiling, unpretentious charm about it. I wish I had had more time to explore. If only I had known how charming the city  would be, I would have planned to spend more time there. On second thought, I probably would not have been able to afford it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment