Monday, May 7, 2012

Switzerland

Switzerland is all kinds of beautiful. Lush, green meadows; clear, sparkling streams; virgin, snow-capped mountains - the picturesque beauty stretches on for miles and miles and miles. I don't think there are any wrong turns in this country. Each region has its own distinct charm and I found very little to complain about in my week long stay here. Use the scarily efficient Swiss rail system to get around.








If you can visit only one place in the country, then I highly recommend Montreux. The sight of the towering Alps suddenly giving way to calm sparkling waters is breathtaking. If there is one thing I will be taking away from this trip, it is that image.

        
   






I will also be taking away the many layers of fat I have acquired due to a gluttonous indulgence in chocolates, baked goods and cheese.

However, all of this comes at a price, a very high price. Switzerland is mindblowingly expensive. It's not expensive in a cute, "Oh! I overshot my budget" kind of way. It's expensive in an alarming "Holy cow! I am going to have to get a second job once I get home" kind of way.

If you do have the money or delusionally think you do (like me), then Switzerland is the way to go. The tourist infrastructure is truly amazing, the people are kind, friendly and always willing to help. 

Everything in Switzerland borders on perfection and when you are here, it's really easy to believe that life is a little perfect too. I suggest you go there and indulge in a little day-dreaming but be ready to loosen those purse strings.

3 comments:

Tanz said...

Awesome pics!Picture post-card perfect!I'm sure you had a great time :)I loved the post!

Shruti said...

@Tanz: Thanks! The whole country was sooo pretty. Finally understood why Yash Chopra used this location to sell silver screen dreams ;)

Dianne Stevens said...

These are great pictures, by the way. Thanks for also posting these on your blog. It made your post more interesting to read.

studying in switzerland

Post a Comment